Job Title: Neural Interface Bioengineering Internships (6-12 months) (multiple positions)
Reference Number: GEI-04
Company profile: Galvani Bioelectronics is a joint venture between GlaxoSmithKline plc and Verily (formerly Google Life Sciences). We are devoted to the development of life changing neuromodulation therapies for patients with chronic diseases. Our team works hard to develop miniaturized and personalised implantable bioelectronic devices, tailored for small autonomic nerves in the viscera. In collaboration with a network of world leading industrial and academic partners, we continue to expand our treatment indications and improve our technology.
One of our primary aims is to provide patients with differentiating stimulation devices that are more effective, safer and longer lasting. Our internship opportunities will contribute to that goal by focusing on a number of key areas of R&D:
- Electrochemical evaluation of novel materials for peripheral nerve stimulation in ex vivo and in vivo This will include acute evaluation of neural response thresholds to electrical stimulation, voltage transient analysis for power consumption and on-nerve water limit for safe charge injection. The results will then feed in to chronic in vivo evaluation for long term viability.
- Biomarker development and the investigation of pathway processes in cellular and subcellular mechanisms. A broad understanding of immunology, cell culture, and biochemistry will be important here. The results will feed into the determination of our therapy potential and drive toward clinical trial endpoints.
- Computational modelling of neuromodulation parameters and interface/electrode dynamics, based on human and animal tissues. This will build on our therapeutic dose parameters for both clinical trial expectations and engineering requirements.
- Small and large animal neurophysiological models, including surgery and implantation will be used to verify our implantable products and clinical facing dose parameters. A UK Home Office animal licence will be required in this context.
- Must have a bachelor’s degree in biology, physiology, neuroscience or bioengineering.
- Must be enrolled in a Master’s or PhD program in these fields with 2 years of practical, post graduate experience.
Preferred (one or all of the below):
- Electrochemistry of stimulation at the electrode-tissue interface. Electrical stimulation of the nervous system and surgical/dissection skills and/or associated data analysis.
- Peripheral nervous system stimulation and recording, in vivo electrophysiology, Home Office Licence.
- Matlab and COMSOL (or similar) proficiency and understanding of bio-electrical models.
- Fundamental understanding of cellular biology, immunology, and extracellular and intracellular signalling pathways, bioinformatics and data science; including methodologies related to such.
Work permit: Valid work permit for the UK during the internship period is required (international students in UK might be eligible through Tier 4 Student VISA, please verify with firstname.lastname@example.org)
Location: GlaxoSmithKline, Gunnels Wood Road, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, SG1 2NY.
Duration of placement: 6 to 12 months
To apply: Please send your CV to email@example.com with the reference GBI-04